Welcome!

"Antique Quilts are hugs from the past" They are my passion, fact is I AM A QUILT-A-HOLIC AND PROUD OF IT. If you want to e-mail me it is quiltladyIII@aol.com and please do leave a comment. Also check out my Flickr account - http://www.flickr.com/photos/delainegatelyquilts/

Monday, May 6, 2013

I used to fly fish with my father.  I was a young lass.  My father wanted a son ever so much so I was his son until my mother said no more, I was about twelve and I was schooled in decorum,"how to be a lady".  I surely missed those days with my Dad, we still fished but I never went hunting with him again.  As I made this quilt it was to be Fishing the Snake, a river I always wanted to fish with my Dad, but never being there it just was not right..   I could not name this one Fishing the Snake,  the name is Sunset on the Hoh, a beautiful river in  Washington on the Olympic peninsula.
 
  The visor on the fisherman's hat was like the one Dad had extra long and wide.,  I was the third daughter so I always felt like I was a bit of a disappointment to my father.  When I married he took my young husband under his wing and off they went doing all the fun things I wanted so much to do with " My Dad".
 All that changed once my first child was born I forgot all those silly wishs because I was a woman and being a mother was the most important thing I could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaves of God Fall 2009

My seasons have flown by so fast
I can hardly remember the details of my budding
I bloomed far too early forced by natures call
The flower of my youth stolen
My spring lost

I could not hold my bloom
As fruit required all my time
That season of summer went so fast
Consumed by my fruit youth slipped away
Never to swing freely in the warm summers breeze
I held fast lest my fruit should fall

Hot summer days turn to chilly nights
My fruit now ripe hear falls call
They release to face their own unknown
I watch as they fall free
My branches lift from their weight
I stand-alone the crisp air begins to blow

Indian summer comes with new love
I bask in the crisp sun light
My beauty is seen and shared
With the bloom of crimson leaves
My golden years begin

Too soon, I see my skin begin to shrivel
Youths golden beauty slips into grey
My hold on the tree of life seems futile
The frost of winter comes so fast
I hold tight lest I fall

So many leaves are falling
I watch as they let go one by one
My winter is here my time has come
The cold ground awaits my fall

The snows of winter cover my memory
Yet the family tree still stands
Spring will come
New leaves will unfold
The seasons of life begins again

Edmonds Ferry to Kingston

Edmonds Ferry to Kingston