Welcome!

"Antique Quilts are hugs from the past" They are my passion, fact is I AM A QUILT-A-HOLIC AND PROUD OF IT. If you want to e-mail me it is quiltladyIII@aol.com and please do leave a comment. Also check out my Flickr account - http://www.flickr.com/photos/delainegatelyquilts/

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Family and friends are really the frosting of life

I have lived in Gig Harbor for forty five years, for some, that is a Life time, yet it seems like just yesterday when I drove from California to Gig Harbor with my car packed with children and pets and the wonder of it all.  Crossing the old narrows bridge was a thrill, we stepped into a new world from the bustle of California suburbs to the quiet woods of the Harbor.  There was one flashing red stop light in the Harbor and no one sold corn tortas. We were a taco loving family and no taco's or burrito well I could not believe it; so the search was on. I worked it out with my sister and she mailed them to us until I was able to find a dealer, I had to learn to make my own salsa and I made it by the quart. My children now laugh about it and they call our first summer here the Burrito Summer.  When I found the farm and the "very small and old house" I knew it was right. I dug in and said this was where I wanted to raise our children, their father laughed and could not figure why I wanted it, but he did buy it for me.  I had found my house on a Hill; it had a 1/4 miles dirt road down to pavement and the bus, we were isolated and I loved it.  Alone on our hill, no neighbor children, no neighbors at all the only children that came to play were invited, it was great.  My children grew strong and healthy, we had a horse, a pony and two steers, rabbits and our dogs. My broken heart from leaving my family slowly healed and we established our home in Gig Harbor.  This September we will celebrate forty years in this house, "our new home " we built it right next door to the very little original old farm house so by selling the old farm house we had neighbors.  Highway 16 was not there and getting out off Goodnough Dr to go to church on Sunday evenings was a nightmare the old two lane Hwy 16 was always bumper to bumper on  Fridays and Sunday evenings kind of like it is now.  Gig Harbor has changed a lot and my family has grown, we have had so many happy years spent on my Hill, and so many changes.
I confess I pretend I am still on this hill by ourselves, when I look out the window in the morning and see the Olympic mountains my heart still flutters with joy, I love this property I am so happy I was able to raise my children on our hill and I will be here until the end. 
1985 Jerry moved in and this place finally became a home he loves it as much as I do.  It was a sad house  that needed care, he made it into a home warm, and full of love.  Moving or down sizing is out of the question, it would be a nightmare,  Jerry and I are collectors of stuff the house and it's five bedrooms are full and Jerry has a two story barn; no we are here to stay.  I suspect it will in the end look like one of those old homesteads over grown with rambles and I will be stumbling around the yard chasing gophers in my robe and Jerry will be in the house watching the television asleep.  Just a couple of old lovers waiting for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaves of God Fall 2009

My seasons have flown by so fast
I can hardly remember the details of my budding
I bloomed far too early forced by natures call
The flower of my youth stolen
My spring lost

I could not hold my bloom
As fruit required all my time
That season of summer went so fast
Consumed by my fruit youth slipped away
Never to swing freely in the warm summers breeze
I held fast lest my fruit should fall

Hot summer days turn to chilly nights
My fruit now ripe hear falls call
They release to face their own unknown
I watch as they fall free
My branches lift from their weight
I stand-alone the crisp air begins to blow

Indian summer comes with new love
I bask in the crisp sun light
My beauty is seen and shared
With the bloom of crimson leaves
My golden years begin

Too soon, I see my skin begin to shrivel
Youths golden beauty slips into grey
My hold on the tree of life seems futile
The frost of winter comes so fast
I hold tight lest I fall

So many leaves are falling
I watch as they let go one by one
My winter is here my time has come
The cold ground awaits my fall

The snows of winter cover my memory
Yet the family tree still stands
Spring will come
New leaves will unfold
The seasons of life begins again

Edmonds Ferry to Kingston

Edmonds Ferry to Kingston